Adopt a Shelter Dog in October
Published on: October 20, 2021
Every October, we turn our hearts and attention toward the work being done by animal shelters and rescue groups across the country. Did you know that more than 6 million companion pets enter shelters every year, according to national estimates from the ASPCA? While approximately half are adopted each year, many more of these pets are still waiting on their forever homes.
There are multiple ways to support Adopt a Shelter Dog month, which has been around since the American Humane Association founded the effort in 1981. Here are just a few of the ways to lend a helping hand:
- Adopt a puppy. Shelters almost always have pets under 1 year of age that are eager and excited to meet their new family.
- Rescue a senior shelter dog. Adopting an older pet can save you from a lot of puppy costs while giving our older canine citizens a second chance.
- Share your story. If you’ve had a positive experience adopting from a shelter or rescue group, you can share your story with friends and on social media as an inspiration to others who are considering adoption.
- Volunteer as a foster home. If you’re not ready to adopt, serving as a foster will provide temporary care for a dog in need, while freeing up space at the shelter to help the next one.
- Donate. Every dollar counts and can be used to support shelter operations, animal care, staffing needs and more.
- Start a fundraiser. From garage sales to online campaigns to alternative birthdays, the opportunities are endless when it comes to raising money to help our local shelters.
However you decide to celebrate Adopt a Shelter Dog month this October, you will be glad you did, knowing that every effort can make a difference in the life of a pet.